Friday, February 16, 2007

Itchy Scratchy


Numbness is a common symptom it seems, at least my most common one. But I've never before felt something like this (cue the music, j/k): My left arm is numb right below the elbow on the top side... and it started by being extremely itchy... which it still is at random times. In fact I didn't even realize it was numb until I started scratching it and noticed that it gave off the numb sensation to the surrounding area. There's no bites, bumps, etc. to blame this on. It's in the same place every time... but now it's starting to spread to my upper arm, so I'm worried about this new development.
So far I've only heard of being numb, never this... I don't even know if I'm describing it properly. The only thing I've done to remedy it when it gets so bad I feel like I'm going to make my arm bleed from scratching so hard is soak the damn thing with half a bottle of Absorbing Jr... .
I can't place when this started, I think last week some time. But here's what I've found out about it so far:
From The MS Information Sourcebook, produced by the National MS Society.

Pruritis (itching) may occur as a symptom of MS. It is one of the family of abnormal sensations-such as "pins and needles" and burning, stabbing, or tearing pains-which may be experienced by people with MS. These sensations are known as dysesthesias, and they are neurologic in origin.

Different from Allergic Itching
Dysesthetic itching may occur suddenly and intensely, but for brief periods. It may be present over any part of the body or face. It is different from the generalized itching that can accompany an allergic reaction, as there is no external skin rash or irritation at the site of itching. Corticosteroid ointments applied to the skin are not helpful in relieving this type of itch.

Medications Can Treat Itching Associated with MS
There are, however, several medications that are usually successful in treating dysesthetic itching. Among them are:

anticonvulsants, such as carbamazepine (Tegretol®), diphenylhydantoin (Dilantin®), and gabapentin (Neurontin®); antidepressants, such as amitriptyline (Elavil®) and the MAO inhibitors; the antihistamine hydroxyzine (Atarax®).

People who experience itching should consult their physician.

Also:
Zonegran. It's actually an epilepsy drug. From what I understand, Zonegran fools the brain into not receiving the phantom itching messages from MS itching.

No comments: