Friday, October 03, 2008

Sickness, Study, & Signs


So I've been sick for about two weeks (a week and a half) and I'm about to take part in the MS Drug Study for Fingolimod. I've gone through all the steps and was supposed to be randomized (wether I'm taking a placebo or the real thing) this upcoming Monday. But they just called today and said that since I've been sick, my immune system is at risk, because one of the side effects of Fingolimod is an even weaker immune system. They want me to be completely healthy before I start. I can respect that.
The catch is that I have been praying to God wether or not to go through with it. I started praying when I saw that one of the side effects was potentially extreme birth defects. That really worried me, and so I started to pray. I asked for a sign on if I should start the study or not. Because having children in the future is a super big concern of mine. I know that if I did the study, we'd have to wait at least three years before we could start, by then I know we'll be ready, but at the same time... what if this new, unstudied drug does something adverse? It's already been recorded of two different birth defects durring the last study of it. Besides, I wouldn't mind starting a family soon. I know Chris is a little bothered by the idea that he's already 30. He doesn't say it, but I know that before we started dating he mentioned he thought he'd already have kids by now.
I'm worried/wondering if this is the sign? I've put so much into this study already, but when I talked to Him, I said "even if it's last minute." I guess I shouldn't have been specific. I can't wait too long, because the cut off date for the study is October 30. I have to be randomized by then if I'm going to be a part of it. If I'm not, this is a perfect time for me to drop out, because I haven't started taking anything, I've just been doing baseline tests, so I don't have to worry about follow up tests... or adverse reactions.
Because they're having to move my randomization date, I have to get another MRI. I got one on September 18th, but I have to have it done before the 30 day mark of the randomization date... and I miss it by 10 days. I can't do the randomization date earlier, beacuse the doc isn't in except that one day next week, and he's not in at all the following week. After that, I'm on my honeymoon.
I just don't know what to do, so I've added the poll at the top to get opinions.

I just got a call from them again. They're able to get me in to do randomization on the 15th, so I don't have to do another MRI. But it still makes me wonder and worry. I mean, those two/three hours that I thought I was going to have to do everything again... they really shook me up. Is this a wake up call? An "answer" to my prayers? If so, what does it mean, since I've gotten calls both ways? Suggestions, answers, and prayers are all greatly accepted.

No comments: