Tuesday, September 09, 2008

FTY720 Visit 1

Okay, so I'm getting ready to start the drug tests for an oral MS drug. On Sept. 9th I met with Nancy the Neurologist and went over the paperwork. It doesn't seem like that big of a deal, but it took a lot longer than I thought it would. It turns out Fingolimod (FTY720) has a few side effects that made me a bit worried.
The biggest thing about Fingolimod is that it moves the white blood cells, which causes the immune system to be weakened. It's bad enough that MS causes the innune system to be weakened, now I'll be taking something that causes it to be even worse. Grr. Oh well, I'll just have to up the vitamin dosages and such... and take extra shots, for flu and such.
The other thing that really really worries me is the birth defects as a possibility. That really scares me and makes me worry about the future. Is it worth it, I think? I keep thinking that maybe I should wait and go ahead with hmy life. But I still go on with heading towards the trials, thinking of I'm not supposed to do it, one of the tests will turn out negative, and I'll have to drop out. It's hard to not think about. There's only been two recorded cases of birth defects, and they might have not properly gone off the medication before getting pregnant. But it still worries me.

No comments: